Yield: 2 loaves.
2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
1 pound Ground Sausage
1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
4 cups (1 pound) shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons butter
2 egg yolks
4 drops each red, yellow and green food coloring, optional
4 pitted ripe olives
2 roasted sweet red pepper strips
1. Thaw bread dough according to package directions; let rise until doubled.
2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook the sausage until no longer pink; drain and transfer to a large bowl. Add the spinach, cheeses, oregano and garlic powder; set side. Roll each portion of dough into a 14-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread sausage mixture lengthwise down the center of each rectangle. Gently press the filling down; dot with butter.
3. Bring edges of dough to the center over filling; pinch to seal. Place each loaf seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Tuck ends under and form into a snake shape.
4. Place an egg yolk in each of two small bowls; tint one orange with red and yellow food coloring and the other with green coloring if desired. Brush stripes and diamond designs on snakes to decorate.
5. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Cut out small holes in bread; gently press olives into bread for eyes. Cut a slit in each loaf; insert red pepper strips for tongues.
(Source: Taste of Home)