2 c. hot tap water
1 T yeast
2 T sugar
Red or pink food coloring
1 T salt
4-5 c. flour
canned cherry pie filling
2-3 T. melted butter
cinnamon and sugar mixture (1 to 6 ratio)
1. Pour water into a bowl or mixer. Sprinkle yeast over the top and then sugar on top of the yeast. Let work about 5 minutes. When bubbly, add food coloring to desired color. Add 1 cup of flour and mix. Add salt and then enough flour to make a soft dough. Let rise.
2. When risen, grease a 9×13 baking dish and spoon in cherry pie filling.
3. Halve the dough and roll out dough into a rectangle. Cut into inch wide strips. Take each strip and pinch ends together. Twist and place randomly over the pie filling.
4. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
5. Bake in oven at 400 for 15-20 minutes or until the middle is set.
Reserve some cherry filling to pour over the top after baking to give a truly bloody look.
This could also be done with strips of puff pastry dough.