Monday, September 21, 2009
1 (6 ounce) package raspberry gelatin powder or grape flavor gelatin
3 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
3 cups boiling water
100 flexible plastic straws
1 tall slender 4 cup container (same height as extended straws)
3/4 cup whipping cream
12-15 drops green food coloring
1. In a bowl, combine gelatins.
2. Add boiling water; stir until gelatins completely dissolve. Chill until lukewarm, about 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, gently pull straws to extend to full length; place in tall container.
4. Blend cream and food coloring with the lukewarm gelatin mixture. Pour into container, filling straws.
5. Chill until gelatin is firm, at least 8 hours, or cover and chill up to 2 days.
6. Pull straws from container (if using a carton, tear carton away from straws). Pull straws apart; run hot tap water for about 2 seconds over 3 to 4 straws at a time. Starting at the empty ends, push worms from straws with rolling pin, or use your fingers; lay worms on waxed paper-lined baking sheets.
7. Cover and chill until ready to use, at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.
8. Worms will hold at room temperature up to 2 hours.
* A one liter plastic drink container with the top cut off works great. Make sure you put the straws in the container upside down. Allow enough time to "squirt" the worms out of the straws and ask for help!
(Source: Family Oven)