Monday, September 21, 2009
This makes 12 bones.
2 large egg whites
4 ounces fine white sugar
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
2. Beat the egg whites until stiff, starting on a low speed and gradually on a higher speed.
3. Then start adding the sugar, a tablespoon at the time, keep beating until you have a thick and glossy meringue.
4. Line baking trays with paper.
5. Using a piping bag with a plain nozzle, pipe a straight meringue bone/line of approx 4 inch long, pipe 2 meringue balls at each end of the bone/line.
6. Take of any pointy bits meringue on the balls with a small knife or use scissors.
7. Bake the bones for 1 ¼ to 1-½ hours until they have dried out, let them cool on the paper.
8. If you like the bones to look more brittle, then mix in some chopped nuts.
9. The yield will depend on how large you make the bones and on the size of the nozzle.
(Source: Family Oven)