Sunday, September 13, 2009
3 cold large egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp almond extract
Ground chocolate wafer cookies
1. Position racks to divide oven in thirds; heat to 225ºF. Line 2 large baking sheets with nonstick foil.
2. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar in a large bowl with mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. On high speed, gradually add sugar, a Tbsp at a time, and extract; beat 8 minutes or until stiff glossy peaks form and mixture no longer feels grainy.
3. Spoon mixture into a large ziptop freezer bag; snip off 3/4 in. from one corner. Pipe bones of various sizes.
4. Bake 2 hours or until meringues feel firm. Turn off oven; leave meringues in oven 2 hours or overnight until crisp and dry. Peel off.
5. Arrange meringue bones on plate with cookie crumbs for dirt.
* For the "bag" effect as shown in the photo, get some burlap and make a small bag, if you are not good with sewing just get a small piece of burlap and crinkle it under your "dirt" and "bones".
(Source: Woman's Day)