Sunday, September 13, 2009
1 box (18.5 oz) cake mix, any flavor
1 can (12 oz) whipped vanilla frosting
1 1/2 cans (16 oz each) chocolate frosting
Green and yellow liquid food color
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
large gummy snake
3 sliced almonds
3 marshmallow circus peanuts
.Fire Logs and Twigs.
10 pretzel rods
40 pretzel sticks
2 rolls each red and yellow Fruit Roll-Ups
1. Heat oven to 350F. Grease and flour an 8 x 2-in. round cake pan and a 6-cup bundt pan. Line a baking sheet with plastic wrap.
2. Prepare cake mix as package directs. Fill 8 inch cake pan with 2 1/2 cups batter; spread remaining batter in bundt pan.
3. Bake both cakes on middle rack, 25 minutes for 8-in. pan, 30 to 35 minutes for bundt pan or until a wooden pick inserted in centers of cakes comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes before inverting cakes on racks to cool completely. Freeze 8-in. cake 2 hours.
4. Trim humps off both cakes with a long serrated knife until flat. Cut a 5-in.-diameter round from middle of frozen cake layer (you’ll have a ring of cake); brush off crumbs. Save middle.
5. Flames: Unroll each Roll-Up and fold in half. Using scissors, cut out long, narrow, triangles. Place on baking sheet.
6. Toes: Attach an almond to top end of each circus peanut with a dab of vanilla frosting. Add to baking sheet.
7. Logs and twigs: Place rods on a serving platter in a circle, breaking some to fit. Place pretzel sticks between rods.
8. To assemble: Place bundt cake, rounded side up, on a sheet of wax paper; press saved cake in hole in center. Spread chocolate frosting over rounded part of bundt cake. Refrigerate 15 minutes. Place bundt cake flat side up on top of logs. Frost sides and top of bundt cake. Set ring cake on bundt cake. Spread top and sides with chocolate frosting, swirling frosting.
9. Attach flames, alternating red and yellow, to sides of cauldron with some bending over the logs.
10. Scrape vanilla frosting into a microwave-safe bowl. Stir in green and yellow food color until blended and lime green. Microwave on high about 15 seconds or just until thin enough to pour (don’t overheat). Add marshmallows; stir until coated.
11. Curl snake in cauldron with head hanging out. Spoon in marshmallows, adding toes, teeth and worms and letting some marshmallows spill out on the edges. Scatter frogs around logs.
* Plan Ahead: Wrapped cakes can be frozen up to 1 month. Flames and toes may be made up to 3 days ahead, wrapped in plastic wrap and stored at room temperature.
(Source: Woman's Day)