Sunday, September 6, 2009
This makes about 2 dozen ghostly bites!
4 large egg whites at room temperature
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup chocolate chips
1. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
2. Slowly add the sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
3. Spoon meringue into a large zip -lock bag, and cut off one end, to make an opening of about 1 inch.
4. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
5. To shape each ghost, squeeze meringue out onto a cookie sheet.
6. Start with a base,about 2-3 inches wide, and slowly build up the body to about 2 - 3 inches high, narrowing as you pull up.
7. Heat oven to 225 degrees. Bake for 2 hours or until firm. Turn off the oven but leave meringues inside for several hours(or overnight) to crisp.
8. To make faces, tiny dabs of melted chocolate chips, which can be applied with a toothpick.
* Store in an airtight container.
(Source: Black Cat Cafe & Bakery)